If you’re waking up in the morning with a stiff neck, you should seek help from a specialist. It’s not only an unpleasant way to wake up, it can affect your productivity and mood for the entire day. It could also be the result of underlying health concerns, so it’s best to take action to treat it effectively. Here are some insights into the causes and cures for neck pain.
Causes for a chronic stiff neck
Neck stiffness is chronic when it occurs frequently, and it can result from a wide range of issues. This includes:
- Poor posture (leaning over your computer or desk)
- Overexertion or exercising incorrectly
- Trauma to the neck or back
Symptoms of a stiff neck
If you woke up with a stiff neck, it’s a good idea to note down any of the following symptoms:
- Limited movement of your head/neck
- Muscle tightness or muscle spasms
- Pain when holding your head at a certain angle or during specific tasks or movement
Tips to prevent neck stiffness
To help prevent neck stiffness, it’s important to focus on good posture. If your neck is stiff when you wake up, it may be the result of holding a poor posture through the day, especially at the workplace. It’s also a good idea to invest in ergonomic furniture for your workstation and ensure that it is set up correctly for your frame. Take more frequent breaks at work to stretch, walk around and rest. Don’t tuck your phone between your ear and shoulder while talking and avoid carrying heavy bags over a single shoulder.
Your bed may also be a factor contributing to your neck pain. It is advisable to sleep with a supportive pillow under your neck and invest in a mattress that provides adequate posture support for the rest of your body. Check your posture when you lie down – your head and neck should be aligned with your body.
When is the right time to see a specialist for treatment for a stiff neck?
- The pain or stiffness is severe
- It persists throughout the day and reoccurs each morning
- It is accompanied by headaches, back pain or other issues
- Tips to prevent neck stiffness are not producing results
If you would like to talk to a specialist, we’re happy to assist you. Contact us today and say goodbye to a stiff neck after sleeping!